WMH Auxiliary Donates $17,000 to Wilson Health

Date: 
Thursday, October 6, 2016 - 2:30pm

The Wilson Memorial Hospital Auxiliary has volunteered countless hours and held innumerable fundraisers to benefit Wilson Health since first organizing in July 1930. 

These fundraisers have included book fairs, Christmas in July, bake sales, card parties and jewelry sales among others.    

The Wilson Memorial Hospital Auxiliary’s most recent gift of $17,000 has raised their total donations to Wilson Memorial to nearly $792,739 since their initial gift of linens.  Their generous contributions have been used for a variety of patient care needs which include among others Wilson’s sleep lab, endoscopy suite, Copeland-Emerson Family Birth Center, Wilson Hospice Care, and , most recently, Wilson Health’s Emergency Department.

The Auxiliary’s first major project was to gather during the weeks prior to the dedication of Wilson Memorial in September 1930 to sew needed articles for the Hospital.  The Wagner Hotel in downtown Sidney, Ohio provided rooms for the ladies to meet in the early days of the organization.

For many years, this group of volunteers was made up entirely of women.  These days, it is not at all unusual to see both men and women actively performing a variety of volunteer duties at the Hospital.

In 2015, eleven new members joined the ranks of the auxiliary bringing the total membership to 140 members including active, associate and honorary members.  This group of very dedicated ladies and gentlemen provided more than 17,304 hours of service – the equivalent of 8.3 full-time employees in 2015.

The officers for 2016 are: President, Sonja Watkins; Vice President, Sandi Wilt; Recording Secretary, Carolyn Freisthler; Corresponding Secretary, Sharon Kerber; Gift Shop Treasurer, Susan Kaser; and Auxiliary Treasurer, Phyllis Seving.

For more information about joining the auxiliary or volunteering in the gift shop or another area at the hospital, call Mindy Geuy, (937) 498-5350.